It’s no secret that I love my Kevin.Murphy products. I don’t know what I would do without these little miracle products in my shower at home or in my station at work. What really set the brand apart when I started playing with it a few years ago was how well everything worked AND how healthy it still left the hair.
I’ve since learned that a key reason why that’s the case is because Kevin has worked really hard to make it so. As a session stylist, his products were really born out of a need to create the best that would perform in a high fashion environment, but still leave the hair looking and feeling healthy at the same time. What was on the market just wasn’t cutting it. So he went to the lab.. In his products, he put essential oils because they smell delicious and natural, but also because they act as bio-catalysts for the other ingredients and penetrate the hair on a cellular level. He also infused his products with vitamins and minerals so that each product is delivering beneficial nutrients to each strand. And of course, the line is very rich in antioxidants. Antioxidants work hard to minimize damage that we see from the sun, environment, color services and really anything that would cause the “decaying” of hair. Ingredients like kakadu plum and immortelle oil are used in several products to do just that. And because each ingredient is sustainably harvested and/or micro-cultivated, the antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and essential oils are more pure and safer for the climate and client.
So as a Kevin.Murphy educator, I’ve had this question a lot: “Since the ingredients are safe and because Kevin.Murphy is skincare for your hair, can I use these products on my body and face?” And because I experiment everything, I tested out that theory. Sure enough, I fell in love with a few products that are now my go to’s for hair and skin. As I discovered what products I began to love using as a body wash or a shave oil, I began to hear feedback in classes from other hairdressers who already had faves. So I tried those, too.
Here are the top 5 that I now use on the regular for both skin and hair:
1. Super.Goo: I love this product on my hair for the perfect wet look or a quick vintage fingerwave set. But when I’m out of my favorite brow gel and in a bind? I love Super.Goo mixed with just a tad bit of dark shadow to match my brows to substitute for a traditional brow gel. The shadow gives it a more matte look and because it’s super strong and dries very quickly, it makes for the best gel to perfect and sculpt your brows. I learned this trick on accident when I ran out of my regular brow gel, but I think this new routine is my new go to!
2. Maxi.Wash: This detox shampoo is so amazing as a pre-wash. It’s exfoliating and full of AHA’s to slough off anything that’s lifting off the cuticle layer of your hair. I use it from scalp down to my ends before shampooing to give my hair and scalp a clean slate. And because it’s so exfoliating and the tea tree scent is so refreshing, I’ve started using Maxi.Wash as a body wash as well. It’s almost part scrub, part body wash because of it’s strength in removing dead skin. And because it’s already in my shower in the morning… it’s perfectly convenient!
3. Young.Again Oil: And speaking of shower maintenance, Young.Again oil is the most perfect after shave oil. Because it’s full of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, it really helps to maintain a moisture balance and replenish skin that has been exfoliated. It works on the cellular level, so I always layer on a good amount and give it about three minutes to soak in. I even use it on my hands and face often because it really works to give you a “second skin” and fill in the holes left from environmental and chemical damage and just natural wear and tear from aging.
4. Damage.Manager: This awesome product has a complex blend of essential oils and plant extracts that help to not only prevent future heat damage, but to also help repair cells that have already been damaged. The allantion in the product causes new cells to grow and arnica root prevents inflammation, making Damage.Manager the perfect spray to fix any skin burn. I spray this product on my hair as a heat protectant, but I also spray it on my hands and arms when I get any kind of burn from using my curling iron or cooking. It helps my burns heal quicker and with less sting.
5. Shimmer.Shine: Ever since it launched in 2013, this product has been my go to as a body spray. I love the smell and the little gold flakes from the tiny mica give off a touch of shine. And because the spray is oil based, it’s also moisturizing. I absolutely love it blowdried into my hair and as an after styling spray. But honestly, no matter how I’ve styled my hair, I usually spritz myself down before leaving my house just to give myself a little extra sparkle. I always get compliments on the scent and especially after a long flight, Shimmer.Shine feels like such a refresh!
If you live in Denver and want to try out any of my fave products, you can visit me at The Oxford Hotel Salon & Spa and book a complimentary consultation! And if you aren’t in Denver, you can head to the Kevin.Murphy website and find a salon near you!